Saturday, September 10, 2011

It's been awhile

I stopped blogging.  I don't know why exactly.  I'm not a superb writer, my blog has no real purpose.... mainly me just rambling, I go bored with it, I got busy.... I don't really know.

So, what's been going on since I stopped blogging?

The good:
First off, I ran the Cleveland 10 Miler.  It was awesome!  It was possibly the best race i've ever run.  I felt great the entire time and I held a really steady (very rare for me!) and fast (for me) 8:30 mile pace for the entire race.  I put up a time I was really excited about.  After the race I had hopes of PRing in the Cleveland Half.

I also ran the Cleveland Half.  Also I really great race!  I would say that the Denver 1/2 is my #1 favorite, but Cleveland is a very close second.  I really like the race course, lots of turns, lots of things to see.  The weather was great (cold and rainy) the day of the race.  I didn't PR.  If I had run like I did at the 10 miler, I definitely think I would have.  My legs felt really heavy race day and my tummy got upset about halfway through the race.  I pretty much knew it wasn't going to be a PR day, but I still managed to beat last years 1/2 marathon time by a minute.  Being able to beat last years time on what I thought was an "off day" made me feel like I was in better shape and a PR might be to come one of these days.  Overall, I was really happy with the race.

The Bad:
After the Cleveland 1/2, my running was just feeling really off.  I took an entire week off because I was feeling really fatigued.  My first week back my legs felt terrible.  I knew I needed new shoes.  Did I go and get some? Nope.  Why? Busy, Lazy, who knows.  July 3rd, I went for a 7 mile "long run" and my foot hurt afterwards.  I knew something wasn't right, but I told myself my laces had been tied too tight.  I ran on it, in pain, for about a week before I admitted to myself that this wasn't due to tying my shoelaces too tight.  I took a week off of running - did some spinning and elliptical.  Then I figured, hey, it should be healed by now, right?  Wrong.  I started running again and every time I stopped my foot hurt.  By the following week it was pretty difficult to walk without limping - and running was definitely out of the question.  I finally admitted to myself that something was wrong and went to the doctor.  Diagnosis - stress fracture in my second metatarsal.  It was visible by x-ran (not usual for stress fractures) suggesting that I may have even "converted" it into an actual fracture.  I was in an aircast for 3 weeks.  I've been out of the aircast now for about 4 weeks.

The Ugly:
We had to cancel our backpacking trip to the grand canyon.  I'm really really sad about this.  We have been planning it since January.  It was really hard not to be physically able to do it.  I also have had to bow out of the Warrior Dash and Akron marathon relay (sad).  I'm still not allowed to run and I'M GOING FREAKING CRAZY!  Yes, i'm being kind of a baby about this.  It's not the end of the world, i'll be able to run again, and there are many many people out there suffering from worse injuries or life threatening illness, so in the grand scheme of things I know it's not that big of a deal, but i'm having such a hard time not being able to run.  I'm sick of spinning and quite frankly I suck at swimming and I hate it.  I just want to run dammit!

It has occurred to me that venting my frustrations on my blog might provide a good outlet for my frustrations.  So, i'm back to blogging, and hopefully soon will be back to running!  I go to the doctor Monday and i'm really hoping for some good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment